Tuesday 28 January 2014

Mental Health Awareness.

I normally don't use this space as my own personal platform, but I feel today I will be breaking my own rules to talk about something that needs to be said.

Mental Health is a serious issue and affects 1 in 5 Canadians. If you have a close circle of friends, chances are that one of them suffers from this and they don't tell you. Mental Illness is a silent killer and many times people are unaware that their close friends and family don't have it.

If People Treated Physical Diseases like Mental Disease: Author Unknown
Why? It is due to the stigma attached. There are thousands, if not millions of people who believe that Mental Issues is simply a frame of mind and ignore the symptoms and people reaching out for help. This of course is counter-intuitive and only reaffirms the feelings of those affected.

I suffer from Mental Issues and I am lucky that I have friends and family to help me through my dark times. Their have been times I have wanted to end it all, but have had friends come in and stop me. Words can hurt people, but they also help. taking an hour to listen to someone can do alot of good and you may save them. I owe it to my friends like Alex, Brandon, matt and Erik for being their when I needed them the most. My friends stop what they are doing and help me and I have done the same.

Their is no shame in talking about your issues. If your friends choose not to listen, then they aren't real friends. People often joke and tease that "real men don't talk about their feelings" but that is complete and utter tripe. Mental sickness' affect everyone and by saying that (x) doesn't talk about it showcases just how close minded people are when it comes to mental health. 

You are not alone. If you need help, their are countless organizations that can help you. For more information, visit the Canadian Mental Health Association. There is no shame in asking for help, no matter what public opinion is.

This is Wil McKerracher and I am not lost to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment