Wednesday 24 April 2013

Beyond Audiodome ~ The Touch by Stan Bush




I have become a born again Transformers fan thanks to a couple of friends of mine. While there are some franchises I choose to ignore (looking at you Kiss Players and no I will not link you what it is, sicko's.), For the most part I have found myself enjoying the series once again. From the incredibly cheesy G1 series to the newest Prime series, I find myself enjoying the most of the stories of the eternal war between the Autobots and the Decepticons.

When people in the fandom think of the music Transformers, more often then not they think of the original G1 intro theme. I am in the opinion that The Touch is far more iconic then the theme. This is a theme that showcased the heroes were here to chug energon and kick ass, and were all out of energon. Like much of the 80's the song is is deliciously cheesy and over the top.

Last year when I beat Fall of Cybertron, I was greeted with the credits and heard The Touch start playing. However it wasn't the original song but a progressive rock variant. It had Stan Bush singing the lyrics, but the song didn't feel right. This version of The Touch did reflect the games atmosphere well. The world was not pristine and clean. The heroes don't arrive in time and their friends do die. This version of The Touch shows that. It doesn't inspire hope the way the original did.

As cheesy as the original version of The Touch is, it does inspire hope. In the original 1986 movie, when Optimus Prime shows up to assist his friends and allies at Autobot City and this song is playing, you can't help but smile. You know that the battle has turned in favour for the heroes. It's a song that gets the viewer pumped up and excited for a dynamic battle between Optimus Prime and Megatron.

So which version of the song is better? Hands down the original version of the song. The new version doesn't have the same emotion and feeling behind the song. I am aware that Stan Bush did both version's of the song and while the guitar work is good, the vocals are not. It seemed to lack the passion that the original song had. I am not a fan of the new version. Other people may like it, but when you ask me to compare the two, the original is the best by far. Yes the original 1986 version is cheesy, but it does its job and does it well.

If you are interested in a good remix of The Touch, then grab The Touch Power Mix also done by Stan Bush. According to Wikipedia, the Power Mix is a remake of what would have been in the Transformers live action films (the less said about them the better). The Power Mix itself is a great remake and I feel would have been better suited for the credit roll of Fall of Cybertron. I don't know if the Power Mix is the same version as the Fall of Cybertron's Credits version as they sound similar. Even if they are the same, there is something off about the credit's version.

You can purchase The Touch in all it's forms on iTunes.

This is Daimo Mac and I am lost in the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment