Wednesday 21 November 2012

LitM; Crowning Music of Awesome ~ Dragonborn by Jeremy Soule


     “But there is one they fear...In their tongue he is dovakhin - DRAGONBORN!”

Original Art by Alteya. Visit her dA profile here.

     Back in November of 2011, Bethesda released a small game known as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. It was a moderately successful game and had forever changed the Western RPG genre. A seemingly endless world to get lost in, surrounded by beautiful scenery and when you are standing on the edge of the mountain, you can see your world for miles. It is incredibly beautiful.

     As beautiful as the scenery is, where does the music stand in this monolithic game? I have only played bits and pieces of the game itself and from what I have played I was stuck in the wild running from giants. So I have little experience with the music itself. Except for Song of the Dragonborn which I have heard countless times. It is one of the reasons I want to play this game so I could experience the song for myself

     When I am not working on Lost in the Music, I am busy planning other projects and one of them is a fantasy webcomic. I find myself going back to this song when I write out large scale battle scenes because the song is creatively inspiring. I have to give composer Jeremy Soule credit for this song. I am sure it was not easy making a song that is reminiscent of Nordic Eddas'. In my opinion, his song is good enough that it could stand along side the likes of Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings OST, John Williams' Star Wars work and Basil Poledouris work on the 1982 Conan the Barbarian movie.

     This is not some sort of song you would hear a bard strum on his lute while playing for coin in the local tavern. This is a song that you would hear during war time. It is an epic tale depicting the return of the great hero and how he will free the land from the great evil. As I said before it is great for scripting your own battle scenes, for when you are playing DnD with some friends, or out for a run and you need that extra boost.

     I am told through my friends that you only hear this song when you level up or are battling with a dragon, so the developers did not force you to hear this song while travelling the world or engaged in battles against regular enemies. which would have the song lose its impact. As much as I love hearing this song, I think having it play on repeat while exploring the world would get tiring. This is a song you listen to when you are waging battle against a foe. It is a fantastic song and one of best songs to get you pumped up for the game.

     If you haven't already, pick up the album off of Directsong. For 25 bucks you can't go wrong with a 4 cd album.

     This is Daimo Mac and I am lost in the music

No comments:

Post a Comment