Monday 29 October 2012

Lost in the Music: Forever Famicom ~ k-murdock and Random



On my Lost in the Music I have routinely touched upon Megaran, but there are other nerdcore artists out there such as DJ Cutman, Lost Perception, MC Frontalot and to an extent, brentalfloss. These guys are all awesome and will have their own write up sometime in the future, but today I would like to talk about nerdcore artist and producer k-murdock and his album Forever Famicom with fellow nerdcore artist Raheem “Random” Jarbo.

Forever Famicom is a love letter to both the Famicom and the SuFami (Super Famicom). Instead of taking one game and building an entire album around it, what they did was take tracks from a wide array of games and genres. Some tracks are from well known games like Chrono Trigger while others are taken from the cult classics such as Earthbound and Little Nemo. Even the extremely obscure Street Fighter 2010 gets a shoutout on the album. It truly is a wonderful love letter to the bygone era of console gaming.

Listening to this soundtrack, I have a hard time figuring out which song I like the most. Some of my friends have told me how Dream master, The Little Nemo inspired track is their favourites. I do agree that it is a nice and relaxing track to listen to where the rest of the songs on the album do have an energy about them.

Dream Master is treated as an origin story for Random, how he got into the gaming culture. With k-murdock arranging the criminally underrated Little Nemo music with Random's perfectly crafted lyrics, it makes for a great piece.

My personal favourite is divided between two songs on the track. While I do tend to favour Epoch because of it's Chrono Trigger connection (plus Random has turned game titles into lyrics which is awesome in itself) , I find it just doesn't hold a candle to For the Gamers where the other artists on the song sound like a group of guys just shooting the breeze about the games they are playing. It is incredibly awesome to listen to.

Forever Famicom also had 2 followup albums called Forever Famicom DLC 1 and Forever Famicom DLC 2 and after much deliberation, I have decided that while these albums are part of the Forever Famicom series, it would be best for me to keep it separate from the main CD itself.

K-murdock has a real talent of remixing classic tracks and making them fresh and when coupled with Random, they make fantastic music. They are a great duo and are easily my favourite artists in the medium.

This past week, k-murdock and Random announced that they will be doing another collaboration, this time featuring music from Sega. I am sure what they come up with will be a blast and it was about time for Sega to get some musical love. Growing up we only had Nintendo, but I have heard enough music from Sega to know that there is a huge selection for them to go through.

In the end, is Forever Famicom worth 13 bucks? Yes it is. If you are fond of old Famicom and SuFami tracks and appreciate nerdcore, then this is a proper album. I cannot comment on Forever Famicom DLC 1 and DLC 2 yet but from the demo's I have heard, you can guess that these albums are worth the price and no just an alternate take on a great album. You can purchase the album off their bandcamp site.

This is Daimo Mac and I am lost in the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment