Thursday 13 March 2014

Presenting: The Returners

One of the benefits of doing this is how often I come across new bands. Sometimes a person on Twitter will suggest me a band or else I will hear of another band from another artist. There are also times where a singular artist is working with a few bands and they make a mention of it. That is how I came across the video game cover band The Returners.

To be perfectly honest, when I heard the name of the band, I feared it was another Final Fantasy coverband. However, after listening to their songs, I was grateful that of the 6 songs they have, only one of them is a Final Fantasy cover. They also covered Ecco 2: The Tides of Time, Lufia and the Fortress of Doom, Metal Gear Solid and even the Phantom of the Opera.

If I had to choose one song from their list, i believe it would be their cover of Lufia and the Fortress of Doom. Both the Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda are great, but the Lufia track seems to have a heavier emphasis on the excellent keyboard/synth and flute work.

The only downside in reviewing the band is the amount of music they have released. All of their music on their bandcamp page is from one of their live shows and while I enjoy it and it showcases their talent, it also is incredibly limiting considering they don't have much else. I still highly suggest listening to their work on Bandcamp.

So my opinion on The Returners? Wonderful group with such amazing potential. The fact they cover tracks other then the Big 3 is amazing. While I do enjoy their medley's of Final Fantasy VI and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, it is their other songs that really what makes them stand out.

This group has just started and they already impressed me. I hope to hear more from them in the future. If you are interested in listening to them, check out their debut/live album on Bandcamp.


This is Daimo Mac and I am lost in the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment