Monday 11 November 2013

Lest We Forget


Today on Lost on the Music, instead of talking about music, I would like to take some time out to honour our veterans who fought and died for the peace we have today.

My grandfather was one of the many young Canadians, who back in 1939 signed up to fight against the Nazi's in Europe. He fought for Canada against the fascist forces of Italy and was in Europe when the Nazi's were defeated. After the war he went back home with his warbride but soon was called away, this time to the Korean theater. It was after this conflict that he became a lifelong member of the Canadian Armed Forces, specifically the Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry.

Before my grandfather fought in Italy, my great grandfather fought in the trenches of France during the First World War. Sadly I don't know much about his accomplishments in the fighting except that he got an injury that would later result him losing his right eye and wearing a eye patch until he died, which according to the internet, makes you a badass.

I also had relatives fighting for the other forces and I am still proud of them. My german grandfather was not a military man but a political cartoonist who was forced to serve the third reich. It didn't last long as he was captured by the soviets in 1941 and wouldn't be freed until after the war. Afterwards, he took his family and immigrated to Canada to start anew, where he would face scorn for being German. However, through hard work, he made a life for him and his family.

I have a military family and while I have never been in the service, I still support our men and women in uniform. They went through hell so we have the right to bitch on the internet. So today, I ask for everyone to take a brief moment to remember. They fought for peace so we don't have to.

Lest we forget.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McRae


No comments:

Post a Comment