Friday 9 August 2013

Introducing The Blast Processors



Growing up, I was in the Nintendo camp when it came to home consoles. I cut my teeth on the original Nintendo Entertainment System, the Super Nintendo (as well as Lego) is what fed my imagination and the Nintendo 64 is what guided me through the awkward adolescence that every person goes through. So it is no surprise that during the 8 and 16 Bit Console wars I snubbed the Sega systems.

It is obvious that I favour Nintendo over other companies when it comes to the music from the system. In the 100+ articles I have written, most of the music I have covered is from games that got its debut on the system. Well today that changes.

When I was at ConBravo last week I had the chance to check out one of the concerts and being a music aficionado I wanted to check it out. However I was late to the first act and missed DJ Janos' set (sorry man), but was able to watch the second show. Now going in, I had no idea who these guys were and to be honest, I wasn't expecting much.

It is safe to say that I was wrong. The Blast Processors kick ass. One element that sets the Blast Processors from the other band is that they don't play as themselves, but characters. On Keyboards and Vocals we have Master System. Pulling triple duty on guitar, keyboard and vocals is Saturn. Also on guitar and vocals is Mega Drive. For drums and bass, we have Menacer and Game Gear respectively.


Some people can see it as geeky that the band members named themselves after the consoles, but I feel that it is a benefit to the group. It is what gives them their identity. Much like how the Gorillaz itself is made up of animated band members. I am glad only a few bands do it as if more people did, I believe that it would lose its charm.


Listening to these guys live was one of the best experiences I had at ConBravo. Seeing my friends as well as partaking in several activities was great, but listening to this band live easily rejuvenated my creative juices. The first song they tackled was the original Mortal Kombat theme to get the party started which in my opinion wasn't there best way to get everyone jumping.

However the rest of the set, they kicked ass. Doing their cover of the rather infamous Genesis Does song, Master System showcased his singing prowess. I was blown away by him as has a stage presence that gave off an aura. When he sang, you listened. I would dare to say that with a little bit more practice and tweaking their style, they could be just as good or if not better then The Protomen.

I say this because both bands have a similar theme of raising morale and being part of the movement to change the world. Where The Protomen are superior is how they have unique songs and I believe if the band can start crafting their own songs based on Sega properties, they can be just as good, if not better.

I highly suggest checking out the video on Youtube. While it doesn't capture the same intensity as the live show, it does showcase the groups talent. You can also find them on Bandcamp.

This is Daimo Mac and I am lost in the music.



No comments:

Post a Comment