Wednesday 8 May 2013

Crowning Music of Awesome ~ Head Cha La



I make no mistake that I enjoy Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z (Dragon Ball GT however can rot in the lowest pits of the 9 Hells). Like many people, it was my gateway into an entire new realm of animation and I watched as much anime as I could get my young hands on. I am ot afriad to admit that Dragon Ball Z has also influenced my imagination when it comes to the battle scenes.

Now that I have gotten older, I can see the glaring flaws in the show. The characters are cliche as all hell, the story is shallow, many villains are simply there to be evil and the animation can be weak at times. Yet for the life of me, I can't not hate it. It is a proper mix of nostalgia and narm charm that makes this show special.

Growing up in Canada, we never got the original Head Cha La or even Rock the Dragon. We got a watered down version of the opening theme. (Editor's Note: This was actually the Ocean Dub intro to the series, not limited to Canada) so when the title started, I always cringed. Years later however after the advent of the internet, I was able to finally hear the original title track and when I first heard Hironobu Kageyama belt out these lyrics, memories of watching the show with my kid brother came flooding back.

So what is it about this song that makes it awesome? It is a song of inspiration. This is a song that makes you want to fly out and conquer your dreams. From being a world class artist, to becoming world champion MMA fighter, this song makes you feel as if you are an unstoppable force. Although you don't know what the vocalist is singing, you can feel the passion in his voice. That is why the song is awesome. Listening to this song, you can't help but feel as if you can conquer the world.

For a late 80's/early 90's anime, the music stands up incredibly well. It is still incredibly catchy and you will find yourself bopping along to the beat. When you compare Head Cha La to other cartoon title tracks, you would be amazed of how well the song has stood against the test of time.

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z have many wonderful tracks such as We Gotta Power and Makafushigi Adventure to name a couple, but for many Head Cha La is one that stands out for them as many experienced Dragon Ball Z before the original Dragon Ball and got them hooked onto the series.

Many people wish to be children again, so they could escape the stresses of their adult lives. However, they don't realize that listening to the title themes from your favourite cartoons can easily stimulate that feeling of childhood innocence. Even if it only for a couple minute, that can easily help you destress and relax.

This is Daimo Mac and I am lost in the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment