Sunday 17 June 2012

Healthy Listening Month: Musical Therapy

Attention readers: Sorry for the shorter then usual work this week. Due to some unfortunate events at home, I wasn't able to get alot of work done for most of the week. My apologies.


     I love music. For the most part I am willing to give stuff a chance, but I tend to stick with what I like. Stuff like classic and some modern rock as well as video game music. I have found myself that when I am feeling down, I find comfort in music. It could be things from some classic Legend of Zelda tunes, to J-Pop/Rock music, and recently Nerdcore. What ever the genre is, I always find something to help me out.

     Now what I am talking about is clinical depression, not your typical angsty episode. According to a study conducted by the World Health Organization, an estimated 121 million people world wide suffer from Clinical depression with more then 10% of those living in the United States. Depression has several factors such as stress and addiction. However, like all diseases, there is help available and one of the more abstract therapies is musical therapy.

     I am not alone in my thoughts about music being useful in helping fight depression. In several cases, music, alongside standard care, people have shown a greater improvement over those who did not undergo musical therapy. While music on it's own cannot help battle clinical depression, when combined with other treatments, such as bi-weekly counselling and medication.

     Clinical depression sucks. I know several people who have been diagnosed with it and it is still a struggle for them. For some, suicide is the answer, which is one of the most devastating outcomes. Sadly, 6% of those who struggle with depression take their own lives. I know how it is to lose someone close to suicide and while the pain will dull over time, it never really goes away. If you know someone who is going through depression, help them. It can save their life.

     I love music. When I am mad, it calms me down. When I am sad, it lifts me up. When I am in need for inspiration, it helps me mentally weave a dynamic image. Music is not the be all, end all cure for everything, but it helps in more ways then one.

     Next week, I count down the top ten songs that help me battle the blues. So come back next week. This has been Daimo Mac and I am lost in the music


------
Sources:



No comments:

Post a Comment